I Think I Am Ready
I still remember being a kid and having to wear a life jacket at all times while aboard the boat. It was yellow and orange and had one of those straps that wrapped from back to front through my legs. I remember catching my very first fish. It was a catfish and I cried the second I reeled it out of the water. I've taken the Dam Tour more times than I could count, and have said or heard the words "Hit It" enough to last me a lifetime. I've probably fed more popcorn to the fish then I have eaten myself, and forever and ever will I sing the jingle "Jerry's Alive, Jerry's Alive".

19 summers in a row I spent at Lake Mead. Either weeks at a time, or short weekends away, I never missed a summer. Its hard to believe I wont ever be back on the Holiday Mansion! Grandma Decided that this year was the year. I don't blame her. Grandpa has been gone for over a decade now, and I think that is what is the hardest. Every time I pulled my cart up to Admiralty Way I get flashes of me on his lap on the back of the boat talking about fish. I loved when he let me drive the boat. I was "all that" let me tell you.
After grandpa the boat was pretty much my dads, and it quickly turned into a family vacation spot. I don't really remember any other vacation that we went on as kids. It was always to the boat. We would ski, we would tube or ski bob, we would float, go rock jumping we did it all. Every year we got to bring friends and I can't think of any other place that I have so many fond memories of. As soon as we get to the canyon Rebecca and I break out our "Down by the Bay" duet. This last trip we were in separate cars so I called her and we sang together one last time.
The boat is where the Bexi Mexi was born. Becky's famous burrito. Hands down the most eaten meal at the boat. I can go on and on about the Lake. It's just really hard to believe that its all over. I am so grateful for my grandma and all the years she kept the boat and let us use it. She really has been so generous. I'm thankful for my dad and how willing he has always been to be there for us. I know he was getting a bit burnt out and I am sure he is ready for the break.

I am so sad that the boat will be gone. It's still really hard for me to think about. But thank you Dad and Thank you grandma for all the wonderful memories!
With our last trip came really cute pictures. Here are a few for your viewing pleasure!

4 comments:
I have never read a more heart felt blog entry.Jenn, I am so glad that I was able to experience the house boat. It was a little piece of heaven. When Jordan becomes a Dr. lets go in and buy one together on Lake Mead and raise our kiddies going there every summer. I love you as a little kid. You and Bake are going to make Beautiful children.
give me a sec to dry my eyes! man... i put off reading taht entry because i knew it would be too sad, and it was. i still can't believe it's not going to be ours any more. it's like lossing a best friend. i didn't think i would be so effected like this! anyway... you put it all so beautifly! love you lake mead! love you boat with itchy seats! boo hoo!!!
Oh I am sooooo happy that you posted a THEN and NOW photo of you and your siblings Jenny! Memories of Torrance. That's the little Jenny I remember, who is this married girl? Wowzers. Thanks for posting that picture!
Ok, it has taken me awhile to leave feedback on this one. I come back to it often because of all the memories it stirs up. You have painted a wonderful picture to a wonderful place that has many great family moments for me. I'm glad you have so many memories too! I cherish mine.
Love you,
Mom
Post a Comment