Monday, January 04, 2010

happy new year?

this fall slash winter season has been no joke for us here over at the morphy house. no joke. dane in his short little lifetime has already suffered from a case of RSV, one of pneumonia, had two chest xrays, a short visit to the ER (where they did nothing but tell me he was sick.. which two days later at the doctor turned into something much worse), countless rounds of antibiotics and ear infections, weeks of breathing with a nebulizer, and the list goes on. what in the world? the kid was only 7 months! by 7 months he had literally spent half of his life being sick. half!

emmy was no different. between two cases of the influenza virus, two bouts of croup, and yet again numerous rounds of zithromax and ear infections i was hoping for a fresh start for 2010! and a fresh start is what i got.

a fresh start of more sickness.

please shoot me.

sick kids bite. big time. the whole semester of emmy's preschool we were able to attend 4 classes. out of like 20. pathetic. i have missed more church then i can remember missing ever. (partly due to the fact that i am one of those anal mothers that keeps my sick kids home, rather then spread it around the nursery. i think 8 of the 10 or so times we have been sick we got it from nursery. so you out there thinking of taking your kids to church even though they are sick because you need a break DON'T DO IT! PLEASE! I AM BEGGING YOU!) we've missed out on weekends away, field trips at school, prime short line days at disneyland.. you name it, we missed it. plus all the money that we have spent on doctors, ER, pharmacy visits and drugstore runs could have been spent on things like shoes, clothes and a new lens or something. anything.

it's not me i feel bad for. i don't want pity. it's just these two munchkins, and seeing them like this that break my heart.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
both photos taken from my phone this last week.

yeah that is emmy standing up.. asleep. poor thing. she had a cold that turned into DOUBLE PNEUMONIA. ugh are you kidding me? this was a new one for her which came for plenty of new activiities for her. she finally took after her little brother and was suited up for a chest xray. she loved it. not. she got a big shot in the butt (those normally come in the arm). she literally slept for two days straight. literally. she would wake up and cry for juice. we would get it, and she would fall asleep drinking it. lifeless for three days. which is not her. my heart hurt.

just as she was on the mend and we thought dane had escaped it. his cough started in. then the next day it was the runny nose. then the next the puking. and the fever. and before we knew it he couldn't keep down milk or food or pedialyte. for three days. when he didn't have tears and stopped smiling after he upchucked i knew it was bad. we spent the day in the hospital hooked up to iv's, monitors, and taking suppositories. he's only 8 months. how can one little child be so so sick.

dear 2010- if this is a sign of what your year is going to bring. i'll see you next year.

hugs (unless your sick too)
jenny

12 comments:

Jillyboo said...

O' Jenny. I cant believe it, that's just not fair or right. There is nothing worse than seeing your little ones sick. And it sounds like you're have been soooo sick! I will be thinking about you and your sweet kid's. I hope this is the end of feeling badly for the remainder of 2010!
And I so appreciate your keeping kids home from Church when they're not feeling well. I am the same way and it amazes me how many people just bring them in anyways. The same goes for School too. I have literally heard people say that their kids were sick but they just needed a break so they HAD to send them to School. Unbelievable!!!!

Riewerts' said...

The thin air of Colorado helps thwart sicknesses, we even have the top Hospital for TB due to this. We even have a city named Hygiene, CO. The housing market is good out here, the commercial real estate market is good out here, the air is good out here, the snowboarding is good out here...looks like all signs are pointing to the Rockies!

Kristen said...

omg jenny this is all SO sad, i can barely take it!!! i'm so sorry about all of it- honestly, i hate having sick kids. it is so, so hard and sad. i just read that you were in sonoma for thanksgiving and we were too!!! bummed to miss you, next time you'll have to let us know! we miss you guys! love, kristen

The J J Glenn Family said...

Jenn Jenn,
Please send us Emmers so you guys can focus all on Daner in the hospital. Im so sorry for your sickies. You guys are in our family prayers. Love you!

Amy Jenks said...

I am SOOO sorry for you all!
Having sick kids is the WORST! Every time my kids get sick, I wish I could take it from them so I would be going through the pain and not them. (Though, I must say, it really stinks to be sick as a parent - but parents can deal...you know?)

I am one of those anal parents...if my kids have a little runny nose, they are not going near another child. Sometimes, I wish other parents would do the same.

Elise said...

Yiiiiiiiikes!!!!!! You just had to put those last two pictures in this post. . . absolutely heart breaking. So sorry! Please say it's getting better! Please.

Lynn said...

Our prayers are with your little family. It is not easy on the babes but it is sure hard on the parents. Hang in there! We love you and our prayers will be with little Dane.

Becca said...

boopers..... AHHHHHHHHH!!!! I scream it for you because you can't because you are in a shared hospital room and your neighbors are watching
Telimundo! So AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Love you

Jody and Jake Moore said...

Jen I'm so sorry to hear this! What a rough go! I apologize if I've ever brought my kids sick to nursery but I think I am good about keeping them home. :)

McEwen Family said...

So I don't really know you (we've been introduced briefly) but I Baker and I are friends from school and Manda and I were roomies at BYU...anyhow every once in a while I pop onto your blog to see what the Morphys are up to and I had to leave a comment. I feel horrible for your kiddos. Your little boy is way too small to have gone through all of this! And poor Emmy too. So so sorry. My only word of advice is to stop taking Emmy to nursery...I've learned that the same parents who bring their sick kids to church won't stop so you have to. What you are going through is so not worth putting your kids in nursery. I hate nursery and finally had to switch off with my husband on who got to stay the whole meeting. After sacrament one of us would leave...we also had 26 toddlers my sons age alone (4 total classes) so you can only imagine how illnesses would spread. my son was magically ill two days after church for a while. It sucks that there are inconsiderate parents out there but you do what you have to do for your kids b/c no one else will. Hope hope hope everyone gets better soon. Tell Bake I said hi.
Rachel McEwen

AnieCooper said...

So sorry to hear the kiddos have been so sick. Sick babies are the worse! I pray they get better soon and stay healthy!

xoxox

Tasha said...

Oh my word Jenny. I am so sorry. So sorry for those sweet kids and so sorry for you. Sick kids are the worst. Your heart breaks the whole time and you end exhausted. I cannot believe all the sickness you have had in your family. Wow. I hope that better things are to come. I am really really hoping for you.