Day at the Races!
So we all know that Baker is a very passionate person and he is very serious about the things he loves. He is never one to keep it all inside when he is doing something he loves. He is always so positive and loves everyone to know how much he loves something. It's a great characteristic to have. I am lucky to have such a passionate husband.. believe me, I never thought I could be such a good cook!
Anyway our day at the races was no different for Bakers passionate side. He was like a kid in a candy store. Busy from race to race, checking stats and filling me in on all the childhood memories. When Baker was a kid his dad owned race horses, and Baker loves to tell me all the stories about the whole family going down into the paddock before their horse would race and taking pictures on the winners circle every time it did. I secretly think Baker would love to own a horse just to be like his dad. It was so endearing watching Baker. You could tell that it was really something that just made him feel like a sense of home. If that makes any sense?
Having said that, even though Mark doesn't own any more race horses we still reap the benefits of his lifelong love. He managed to score us two free tickets to the Club level of the track. What a nice way to spend my first race! When we walked into the racing office to pick up our tickets it only took one look for the guy to recognize Baker. He probably hasn't seen him since he was a little kid, but how can you really forget a face like that? With tickets in hand it was off to the Paddock.
We watched the parade of first horses and decided to make a small wager on the race.. nothing huge it was just for fun. Baker gave me a little lesson on how to pick your horse. You watch them parade first look at the favorites, and pick the one that is the calmest. You also want to look at the odds. I really didn't get it so I just picked the one that had the best name. Favorite or not. My theory proved me right.. at least for the first race, and my horse came out on top! The day was starting to be great for me.
After race one it was back to the Paddock. Baker had his choice, I had mine. We compromised with Bakers pick. Lucky for us Baker was right.. we were two for two! The next race was the big race of the evening so Baker thought rather then picking the winner we should pick the Exacta. That is when you pick the first and second place horses to finish. Brother Derek which was the Kentucky Derby favorite was running this race, and his odds were pretty high. So Baker gave my a few dollars to bet on the Exacta. If you know me, you know that I am not really one to go with the crowd at times, so secretly I put a couple dollars on my horse of choice. Cindago. I picked this horse because my Mother in Laws name is Cindy.. similar enough right? Well guess who pulled it off? CINDAGO! I think Bake was a little mad I went behind his back.. but you aren't suppose to tell who you put your money on before a race.. its bad luck right?
We managed to stay for three more races, but with no other wins. We walked away with enough money to cover the parking our lunch and a 3 dollar soda from the track. What a fun day to spend with Baker. I absolutely loved hearing him talk about all his memories growing up, and how much he looks up to his dad. Can't wait for next racing season!

2 comments:
Jenn I am so glad you love my brother so much. I can totally see him with his little boy excitement at the races. So many fun memories are brought back for me when I think about he horse races, too. I still deep down wish my Dad owned a horse so our spouses could be introduced to this fun part of our life that we had. That is so rad that my Dad hooked it up with tickets. He still has connections? I guess it's just the Morphy name. ha! What a beautiful day to be at the races. Good pick, Cindago!
Hi Jenny and Baker,
Wow! You two look so great at "old Del Mar" "Where The Turf Meets The Surf".Those were some beautiful comments Jenny. I'm glad you enjoyed your time there.I love you two.
Mark
Post a Comment