Monday, February 02, 2009

day 2: marathon man

a few months ago as we were driving to pick up bakers bib number for the long beach half marathon he said these words to me: "i really have no desire to run a full marathon, i don't know how people do it".

two days later he was on the computer signing up for the huntington beach marathon. the full. the big cheese, the whole shebang. 26.2 miles. wow.

yesterday was the day, and i couldn't be more proud of him. he succeeded all expectations, and pretty much owned the streets of huntington beach for just the few minutes over four hours that it took him.



we first saw him around mile 14, and he was happy as a clam. giving huge smiles and the thumbs up. em was in heaven seeing her dad. she held her sign and yelled "go go go!" as he ran by.




most of baker's family came down to support him. i think that was the best part of all for him. he had been training as hard as he could for this race and for them to come just to see him run really made his day. thanks again guys! i'll blog about the rest of our weekend tomorrow.



i really can't tell you what it felt like to see him run across the finish line. you could see in his face all it took and how happy he was to be done. it seriously was the coolest thing to see and i was so proud of him for doing it.



we had a couple pictures of em, but she wasn't having it, so this shot of bake and i will have to do for the family post marathon picture. too bad i am so pregnant right?


the whole gang with bake after he finished. it was a zoo downtown. there were so many people. i'm still surprised that no one got lost in the crowd.



i guess this one was really the whole group.. it's rare that i am in front of the camera, and not behind it.



while we were waiting for the shuttle to take us back to the car bake was sitting here stretching.. had he known what he was going to feel like today, the day after, he might have reconsidered doing it altogether. just kidding.

we did drive away him saying "i did it, check it off my list, i'll probably never do it again." 5 bucks says he'll be searching the world wide web this weekend looking for another race to register for.

16 comments:

Granny Pat said...

Ohhh..Baker I can't believe the whole
thing. I'm so proud of you making your goal. And still being alive after the 26.5 miles. Good for you..We love when you stretch and reach your potential. We love you,
Gran and Gramps

The J J Glenn Family said...

I'm seriously so proud of my big brother for doing this. He is so skinny and totally looks like a marathoner. Bake, not too many people can say they have run a marathon. Check it off your list! I love it! I will be ready for the half in March. You better be doing it with me. This will be a casual small jog for you I'm sure. Love ya!

Whitney said...

So - I was totally down there all weekend! I wish I would have seen you! The organization I work for, Free Wheelchair Mission, is the charity that partners with Surf City Marathon, notice the banner at the finish line! Anyway, congrats to Baker! What a great accomplishment!

Riewerts' said...

Congrats dude! I once ran a marathon...I was even winning when no more than 5 steps before I was to cross the finish line, a giant crocodile attacked me from behind...than I woke up. pure craziness. How do I interpret this...maybe the Crocodile is my weak ankle saying I will never run a marathon...or it is my self doubt saying I could never do it. either way...it was a cool dream and I am way stoked that there wasn't a crocodile to eat you 5 steps before you finished. -The Riz

Pete and Kati Morphy said...

We had so much fun coming to watch the BIG RACE! We are so proud of Baker, that is an amazing accomplishment! Baker is the bomb.com!

patshala said...

Congratulations Baker! That is so awesome. We are so proud of you! I hope you were able to rest and relax a TON after that. You probably need a new pair of shoes after running for 4 hours too! You rock!

kori said...

how cute are you that you even made signs for him! What a sweet wifey!

Morph This said...

koko, i can't take credit for the signs.. although i did have the supplies here to do so for his sisters. i was in charge of the camera.. shocker right, so i had no hands to hold one!

Anonymous said...

Congrats man! And i love the pics of all the nice high thigh shots....perfect. Still, running that far is a feat, and I could not do it. nice goin...

Jamie C. said...

Too bad you're so ADORABLY pregnant! You look great!

Amy Jenks said...

Congrats! That's awesome! That's definitely something to be proud of!
My uncle did the same type thing 1/2 then full and ended up doing an iron man next...each time saying I don't think I'll ever do anything like that again. I think he's finally done now that he basically killed himself training and completing that race.

Tasha said...

That is way impressive! How fun to do the Huntington Beach one too. Way to go!! (and you are looking stinkin cute pregnant!!)

AnieCooper said...

That is awesome that he did completed it! We knew a few people in the race this weekend. I walked a full marathon over 2 days...can't ever imagine running one ;)

BTW you look amazing :) Soooo adorable!

Ali B. said...

Congrats Baker! They are kind of fun, aren't they?!? I hope you guys are doing well. Jenny, you are a darling prego girl!

Unknown said...

Wow Baker! That is so neat to have run that far and so fast too! What an accomplishment. We love you guys and we should have come down to see the Big Race. We need a reason to come see you guys. Love ya, Aunt Lynn

Ben said...

Good Work!

I'll never forget you wanting to run the San Diego Marathon the night before without training.