when i said today, i wasn't expecting this

i got an early morning call from my dad this morning and just knew. purple grandma was gone.
here i sit, not even knowing how to do this post justice.
(look they even tortured babies and put them in baskets 80 years ago)
honestly i am having a hard time.. trying to convey in words what she was to me, what she did for me, and who i am in large part because of her. i was, and am, really really lucky.
all of my favorite childhood memories were made with her help. i miss her.
she never judged me. she always said it like it was. and she always kept us grounded.
i can only imagine whats going on up there right now. i'm sure she was greeted by my grandpa asking "what the hell took you so long?" followed by a really long embrace and a big wet kiss. at least that is what i am hoping for. she lost my grandpa 18 years ago. 18 years. i hope i go first when we are old. i couldn't imagine.
i love her, i miss her, and i hope that one day i can be like her.
(yeah.. this is her in high school. what? with her dad)

(little known fact.. she was singer)
wondering where "purple grandma" comes from?
When baker's family first met her at my wedding she was wearing this amazing purple outfit. it's her favorite color. everything matched perfectly.. the shoes, the jewelry, the bag, the eye-shadow.. everything. such a fashionista.so "purple grandma" sort of formed. it stuck with emmy and since then we have just called her purple grandma.
9 comments:
Oh Jenny, I'm so sorry. My grandpa passed away just after the new year and it was so hard. It's never easy saying goodbye even though they are in a happier place, the loss of them on this earth is hard. Just cry it out, have long hard cries with your sister, it always helps. I remember meeting your Grandma a long time ago, we drove up to Torrance in the station wagon with your dad and ate her candy and got into trouble I am sure. Love you Jenny, let me know if you need anything!
Sorry to hear about your loss. :(
For the record, though, that baby picture looks very much like your little guy!
I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.
I'm glad she can be reunited with her hubby after 18 years. What a wonderful reunion.
Jen what a sweet post. These pictures are amazing! She was a very sweet lady, and I could tell when I met her that she LOVED you soo much. We love you Jen I am so happy she is back with her husband again. xoxox
sniffle sniffle snort weep! Cheers Grandma!!! I'll forever be toasting you!
Jenny...I'm so sorry for you loss. My thoughts are prayers are with you all during this time. xoxox
Jenny, I am so sorry that you lost your purple grandma. Your post is wonderful. She was a beautiful lady I can tell you that. Take time to think about her. We love you guys, Aunt Lynn
She sounds like an awesome grandma!! Sorry to hear that she passed away, but I'm so glad that you were able to have her in your life. That picture of you two is just priceless. "Purple Grandma"--I love it. You look absolutely beautiful! What a great post and tribute to her.
soooo bummed we missed you this weekend!!! it was a super short trip but we would have LOVED to see you. i love this pic w/ your grandma in purple. SO darling and you look SO beautiful! miss you!
Post a Comment